Data Center Management Systems
The Expert JCL Manager - JED
JED provides fully automated JCL management for today's z/OS
data centers. JCL validation, JCL standards enforcement, JCL
reformatting, JCL syntax checking, JCL maintenance, conversions and
tuning are now possible, automatically! Robust, yet simple to
use, JED provides a flexible, automated method to address the
labor-intensive tasks associated with the JCL change lifecycle. JED
significantly improves operations and production control environments,
resulting in improved SLAs. JED is destined to become the premier
automated JCL management product on the market.
JED has been designed to be JCL intelligent. Incorporating JED
into DCMS CCS (Change Control System) or other automated change control
tool permits the management and control of JCL components in the change
lifecycle to be fully automated. JED simplifies JCL management
and quality assurance, resulting in improved productivity and
reliability for the entire Information Technology department.
JED insures that the JCL entering your production environment is
logically and syntactically error-free and will execute properly.
- Complete JCL validation
- Custom JCL validation criteria
- One-time analysis and conversion
- Mass conversions
- JED Remote Server Facility validates JCL for execution on
a different LPAR/Image than the one on which the JCL resides
- Validate SMS requirements
- Intelligent online Library Search Facility for concurrently
searching multiple libraries for combinations of JCL statements containing
values that match JCL-specific search criteria
- Validates logical processing (EXEC-COND, IF/THEN/ELSE) including
- Reformats JCL members, procs and statements to user specifications
- Optionally reformats instream IDCAMS SYSIN statements
- Validates the execution PARM and SYSIN control statements
for all standard IBM utilities
- Reorders and re-aligns JCL to maximize readability
- Provides reformatting options by statement type
- Optionally re-sequence step names
- Validates naming standards
- Scheduler Interface - Enables automated scheduler users to
verify how their scheduler will resolve it's variables within a jobstream
at execution time.
- Single pass processing
JCL for multiple environments
of vendor-supplied JCL
to test JCL conversion for application testing
to production JCL conversion
path validation at hot site
in-stream control statements to PDS members
enforcement based on application name and many more
can be executed:
- Interactively - As an edit macro while in an ISPF Edit
- Foreground - JED provides an intuitive ISPF interface for
virtually instant results
- Background - As a batch job to
process larger quantities of JCL
can be interfaced
with automated schedulers, change control products, security systems
tape management systems.
product features, functions and interfaces
can be tailored by the JED administrator. Most common JCL
validation and conversion tasks are already automated and can be
activated by toggling an option presented on an online
screen. Over 300 options are available.
JCL validation - JED automatically validates JCL for logic, syntax and
required structure. User controllable options allow you to tailor
the level of validation, error message issuance and message text.
JED validates JCL based on the processing environment (z/OS and JES
level, security package installed, and tape management tool in use,
- Validates JCL coding standards and checks JCL syntax
- Reformats JCL to Information Systems standards
- Insures that all datasets created in production JCL will
- Checks to insure that each dataset name conforms to installation
- Insures that each executed program is found in the appropriate
program load library
- Verifies JCL values such as input/output classes, form names
- Insures that all referenced PDS members exist
- Insures that all referenced GDG base catalog entries exist
- Insures that all existing datasets are cataloged
- Validates SMS values
- IBM Utility Control Statement Validation -
Validates the execution PARM and SYSIN control statements for all standard
IBM utilities including Sort.
- Reformats IDCAMS Statements - Reformats
instream IDCAMS SYSIN statements to installation standards.
- Job Scheduler Interface - Enables
Job Scheduler users to view how their scheduler will resolve the
Job scheduler variables within a jobstream at execution time.
- JED Remote Server Facility - JEDSERV
enables developers, as well as automated change control systems, working
from a test LPAR/image, to accurately validate pre-production JCL that will
later be executed on a different local or remote LPAR/image.
- JED Online Library Search Facility - JED
permits users to concurrently search multiple libraries for combinations
of JCL statements containing values that match JCL-specific search criteria.
Searches are simple to specify and far superior to a simple string search.
- For example, you can search for DD statements that specify a BLKSIZE less than 100 and a DDname starting with “SYS” within a step that executes a program “IEBGENER”.
- The FIND and CHANGE primary commands also provide a Process-Mode option, enabling background execution.
- The capabilities of the FIND, CHANGE and SEARCH commands can be performed from batch JCL that you can customize and save on your own library.
- This feature is completely JCL intelligent and makes it possible to quickly perform very complex searches without requiring the use of a programming language.
- JED Reporting - JED
provides complete analysis and management reporting for all JCL
components. These reports are an invaluable part of the JCL
analysis and acceptance lifecycle. The JED reports can be
selected based on your requirements. This can be as simple as a
basic JCL listing to a complete cross-reference facility for impact
analysis during system maintenance.
- JED Installation,
Configuration and Use - The learning curve for system administrators
and users is very short; usage is highly intuitive and
self-explanatory; extensive online help screens and tutorials are
available with a single key stroke.
- JED Programming Interface (JPI) - If
needed, a site using JED can easily add to the multitude of built-in
functions by writing a JPI in a non-proprietary language, such as COBOL
or assembler. JED comes with a number of JPI samples. New or additional
JPI's can be retrieved from the DCMS Customer Center. Statements are
presented to the JPI parsed and in a format that is easy to work with. The
JPI can manipulate the parsed JCL in many ways:
- Inspect all JCL parameters on all JCL statements
- Add, change or delete any JCL parameter
- Add or delete any JCL step
- Generate error message
- JED Includes the DCMS Cross-Reference System (XREF)
- XREF Provides Immediate access to JCL and Program Component Cross
Reference Information for the Entire IT Department.
- XREF allows analysts to perform error free change impact
analysis in seconds rather than hours or days.
- XREF is a self maintaining
information repository and query system that provides instantaneous
access to comprehensive cross reference information on all
of your JCL, Proc, and program components.
- The XREF Monitor
keeps the system's database current by updating the database
automatically whenever a JCL member or PROC is modified.
- XREF eliminates
the need to perform long running and often inaccurate
- The list of relationships maintained
by XREF is long and is continuously growing.
The online XREF Query Facility provides precise, accurate
and instantaneous results to such requests as:
Show me all of the Jobs/Proc's where a particular program
Show me all of the Jobs where a particular Proc is executed.
Show me all of the Jobs/Proc's where a particular dataset is used.
Show me all of the PROC's that are executed in job ABC.
Show me all of the programs that are executed in job ABC.
Show me all of the datasets that are referenced in job ABC.
Show me all of the ++INCLUDE (or –INC) statements that are referenced
in job ABC.
Show me all of the jobs that execute PROC DB2TEST.
Show me all of the jobs that execute program IEBGENER.
Show me every place that the Billing Master file is referenced.
Show me all of the jobs that reference Parmlib member XYZ.
JED has become the industry leader in the automated JCL
management arena. JED is not just a JCL validation tool; it is a
fully automated and comprehensive JCL Management solution. JED
virtually eliminates all JCL errors in the production
environment. JED significantly reduces the amount of time
involved in JCL maintenance, development and conversion. JED provides automation
not found in any other JCL checking tool.
JED XREF is a powerful online cross reference facility that provides complete up-to-the-minute information on program and JCL component relationships. JED XREF allows the user to quickly and accurately
perform impact analysis reviews showing the effect of updating a particular program or JCL component.
For example, you can quickly determine such things as which jobs execute a particular program, or which programs access a particular dataset, or which programs use a particular copybook or ++Include module, or which jobs, procs and programs will be impacted if you change a particular dataset. The list of relationships maintained by JED XREF is long and is continuously growing. JED XREF allows analysts to perform error free change impact analysis in seconds rather than hours or days.
JED is available for any processor that supports the z/OS operating system environment.
JED executes in batch or as an interactive process under ISPF. VSAM is used as the basis for
the DCMS proprietary DBMS. JED supports all versions and releases of z/OS. Interfaces
to other products are described earlier in this document.
The DCMS toll-free Customer Support Hotline (800) 998-3848 is accessible 24 hours / 7 days a week. On-site training and consulting are available for a nominal fee.
The JED system can be shipped to your company, or you can download
JED, for a no cost, no obligation trial.
Products are licensed (Perpetual and Renewable) on a per processor basis. Tiered pricing is based on Processor Software Groups. Annual maintenance for perpetual licenses is calculated at a rate of 15% of the current license fee.
DCMS JED Administrator Guide
DCMS JED User Guide